Thursday, June 5, 2008

More Sunset Food Highlighted for its Cheap and Good Stuff


While the "Dollar Grub" roving reporter bemoans the rising prices, there are plenty of things available on 8th Avenue for $1, even now. Sadly, for me, most of them involve hot dogs or skewered/fried meat. I'll add, however, that raisin buns and red bean buns are also available at most bakeries for 70 cents. Mmmmm. The ices in the park carts are also $1, but the ice CREAM is usually $1.50.

His first stop was Starlite. The Red Bean buns are amazing there. Huge and fresh and sweet and just good. My favorite limonada seller (corner of 44th and 5th Ave) is highlighted in photo #30 - although he didn't buy one of her $1.50 drinks. Her horchata is very drinkable, as well.

Here's the link to MetroMix.com's Dollar Grub featuring Sunset. Love the photo of this guy contemplating a hot dog roll. Very funny.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Give yourself a $3 limit and have some of Starlite's yummy ice cream. MMMMM!

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to have traveled around with our 1$ guy and had some of that nummy sounding lime drink he mentions. He sure has a stronger stomach than me, though. I don't think I could have done the skewered chicken/frog thingymabob he ate. Blah....